SPANISH WELLS ISLAND
COCONUT TREES AND COVE
BEAUTIFUL TURQUOISE WATERS
BEACH AND REEF
STROLLING WITH THE SEAGULLS
In the midst of the beautiful turquoise waters that surround the 700+ islands of the Bahamas, there lies a unique island that plays a very important role in Bahamian history.
This island is called Spanish Wells and is located off the northern tip of Eleuthera. Spanish Wells (St. George's Cay) is a mile-and-a-half-long island situated off the northern tip of Eleuthera, Bahamas.
Spanish Wells is a mile-and-a-half-long island situated off the northern tip of Eleuthera, Bahamas.
Spanish Wells is a community of fishermen and farmers and there are about 1600 friendly people who call Spanish Wells home. It was from the fresh-water reserves of this island that Spanish sailors renewed their water supply after the long Atlantic crossing, among them the legendary explorer who sought the Fountain of Youth, Ponce de Leon.
Discovered by Christopher Columbus, the history of Spanish Wells dates back to the mid-1600's. This was a time of religious intolerance and political persecution in England that caused many Europeans to flee and colonize lands in America and Bermuda . A group of about 70 men, women and children who had settled in Bermuda, decided to leave Bermuda because of more religious disturbances. This group was called the "Company of the Eleutherian Adventurers", or also known as the Eleutherian Adventurers. The Eleutherian Adventurers set sail on the William in search of earthly paradise. This voyage was led by William Sayles, former governor of Bermuda.
Due to the lack of knowledge of the numerous reefs that inhabit the Bahamian waters, the ship wrecked on the treacherous reef known as the Devil's Backbone. The wreck was close to the northern tip of an island they named Eleutheria - the Greek word for freedom (today it is known as Eleuthera). Having lost nearly all their provisions, the survivors took shelter in a nearby cave known as "Preacher's Cave". This cave was where the Eleutherian Adventurers first built their community. The 50 x 120-foot lime stone cave was used for religious services and government meetings. The settlers lived in the cave for awhile, but eventually moved to small huts outside the cave. For decades, the cave was used as a Town Hall serving as a communal area, cemetery and church.
The American War for Independence (1776 - 83) caused another influx of immigrants to Eleuthera who wanted to remain loyal to Britain (the Loyalists). Most of them persecuted from the Colonies after the war. With their diverse economic and religious backgrounds, they planned on establishing a plantation colony in the Bahamas . To make this work, they brought their slaves from America with them.
Due to a conflict in Preacher's Cave, some of the settlers spilt up. Some of them remained on Eleuthera and others moved to a small island off the coast of Eleuthera permanently. This island is Spanish Wells and is located approximately ½ mile off the tip of northern Eleuthera on the west side.
Spanish Wells today is a beautiful Island with a two mile beach on the north side, Inhabited by the descendants of the first settlers of Preachers Cave.
You can rent a golf cart and cruise down the narrow streets, stopping to admire the pristine beauty of the northern beaches, some of the best beaches in the world.
There are pastel-colored homes with well-manicured lawns and gardens. The people of Spanish Wells are hard-working, and industrious, and cordial to visitors.